A PDF version of my full CV is available here.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, CSAIL, 2018 -- present
- Supervisor: Tamara Broderick
- Ph.D. in Statistics, University of Pennsylvania, May 2018
- Thesis: "Bayesian model selection and estimation without MCMC"
- Thesis supervisors: Ed George and Veronika Rockova
- S.B. in Mathematics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 2013
- Deshpande, S.K., Bai, R., Balocchi, C., and Starling, J.E. (2019+). "VC-BART: Bayesian trees meet varying coefficients." (submitted) [more info]
- Deshpande, S.K., Hasegawa, R.B., Weiss, J., and Small, D.S. (2019). "The association between football participation in adolescence and mental health in early adulthood" PLOS ONE . [more info]
- Hasegawa, R.B., Deshpande, S.K., Small, D.S., Rosenbaum, P.R. (2019). "Causal inference with two versions of treatment." Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics . (accepted). [more info] [paper]
- Gaulton, T.G., Deshpande, S.K., Small, D.S., and Neuman, M.D. (2019). "Observational study of the association between participation in high school football and self-rated health, obesity, and pain in adulthood." American Journal of Epidemiology. [more info]
- Balocchi, C., Deshpande, S.K., George, E.I., and Jensen, S.T. (2019). "Crime in Philadelphia: Bayesian clustering with particle optimization" (Invited revision). [more info] [paper]
- Deshpande, S.K. and Evans, K.E. (2019). "Expected hypothetical completion probability." Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. [more info] [paper]
- Deshpande, S.K., Rockova, V., and George, E.I. (2019). "Simultaneous variable and covariance selection with the multivariate spike-and-slab LASSO." Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics. [more info] [paper]
- Deshpande, S.K. and Wyner, A. (2017). "A hierarchical Bayesian model of pitch framing." Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. 13(3): 95 - 112. [more info] [paper]
- Deshpande, S.K., Hasegawa, R.B., Rabinowitz, A.R., Whyte, J., Roan, C.L., Tabatabaei, A., Baiocchi, M., Karlawish, J.H., Master, C.L., and Small, D.S. (2017). " Association of playing high school football with cognition and mental health later in life " JAMA Neurology . 74(8): 909 - 918. [more info] [paper]
Working Papers & Papers in Progress
- Weiss, J., Rabinowitz, A.R., Deshpande, S.K., Hasegama, R.B., and Small, D.S. (2019+). "Observational study on the effects of early-life participation in contact sports on later-life cognitino in a sample of monozygotic and dizygotic Swedish twins reared together and twins reared apart." (in preparation)
Awards & Honors
- Third prize, Ruth and William Silen, M.D. Poster Award. New England Science Symposium. 2019
- Finalist, National Football League Big Data Bowl. 2019
- Deming Student Scholar Award, Deming Conference on Applied Statistics. 2017
- J. Parker Bursk Memorial Award (2017).
- Donald S. Murray Prize (2017).
Awarded by the Statistics Department at the Wharton School for excellence in research.
Awarded by the Statistics Department at the Wharton School for excellence in teaching.
Talk at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans , New Orleans, Louisana
Talk at Carnegie Melon Sports Analytics Conference, Pittsburgh, PA
Talk at JSM 2019, Denver, CO
Talk at BNP 12, Oxford, U.K.
Talk at Ohio State Bayesian Causal Inference Workshop, Columbus, OH
Journal Reviewer: Annals of Applied Statistics, The American Statistician, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, Bayesian Analysis, Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sport, PLOS One
Conference Reviewer: BNP @ NeurIPS 2018, AISTATS 2019, ICML 2019, UAI 2019, NeurIPS 2019, AAAI 2020